July 7, 2010

“Maybe Steve Perry can just love more deeply than I can.”

Clem Snide covers Journey

I love Clem Snide so much, and it just keeps getting stronger. You may have noticed my minor affinity for covers, and frontman Eef Barzelay can delight me with his straightforward, completely earnest renditions that find veins of truth in the most unexpected of places. So here even the #1 ironic-karaoke band Journey sounds almost wistful. It gets even better when his two bandmates come in whistling at the end, and no one cracks a smile.

Faithfully (Journey) – Clem Snide

Perhaps you remember the Clem Snide cover of Christina Aguilera’s “Beautiful,” but my all-time favorite version he does is that of the Velvet Underground’s “I’ll Be Your Mirror.” Instead of Nico’s halting alienation, Eef’s sweet earnestness makes me believe good truths, laced through with that elegant and knowing cello.

I’ll Be Your Mirror (Velvet Underground) – Clem Snide

I also never get tired of listening to their original song “Born A Man” – Eef’s a super smart songwriter, like an SAT study party soundtrack. The new Clem Snide album Meat of Life came out in February.

Head over to the A.V. Club site and watch the other excellent sessions – I dig the Frightened Rabbit cover of The Lemonheads, Justin Townes Earle covering Bruce, and even “Game of Pricks” filtered through Owen Pallett’s violin.

Tagged with , , .

8 Comments »

• that cover was the first thing i ever heard by clem snide, and i’ve been looking for it for years. thanks for postin git again!

eric — July 8, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

• eric, i can try to rip this to mp3 tonight, if you like.

browneheather — July 8, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

• Oooh! Can you rip the Journey cover? That would be great.

Your pal, Jim — July 8, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

• done! i can totally see someone using this in a wedding.

browneheather — July 8, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

• Wow, thanks! You’re the best!

Your pal, Jim — July 8, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

• Would you be able to rip the “Game of Pricks” cover?

Alicia — July 10, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

• That frightened rabbit one was my favorite.

Travis Dillinger — July 13, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

• Steve Perry is just the best… his songs are amezing, this is a nother beautiful song… thanks!

Indira Sánchez — August 8, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

Comments RSS TrackBack URL

I tweet things. It's amazing.

Bio Pic Name: Heather Browne
Location: Colorado, originally by way of California
Giving context to the torrent since 2005.

"I love the relationship that anyone has with music: because there's something in us that is beyond the reach of words, something that eludes and defies our best attempts to spit it out. It's the best part of us, probably, the richest and strangest part..."
—Nick Hornby, Songbook
"Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel."
—Hunter S. Thompson

Mp3s are for sampling purposes, kinda like when they give you the cheese cube at Costco, knowing that you'll often go home with having bought the whole 7 lb. spiced Brie log. They are left up for a limited time. If you LIKE the music, go and support these artists, buy their schwag, go to their concerts, purchase their CDs/records and tell all your friends. Rock on.

View all Interviews → View all Shows I've Seen →