Easily one of the best songs so far this year for me, ranking up there with my favorite Pete Yorn songs ever, “The Man” is the title track off Pete’s appropriately titled “twang-rock” Westerns EP. The six-song limited edition EP is available only at shows on his current acoustic tour, and I highly recommend getting your hands on it however possible.
1. “The Man” (featuring dixie chix)
2. “Never My Love” (studio version of association classic featuring FARMER DAVE scher of beachwood sparks fame on pedal steel)
3. “Don’t Mean Nothing” (written for nancy sinatra, and recorded by her for her own record…had to do it myself..love the song too much….also featuring natalie from dixiechicks.)
4. “The Good Advice” (a ripper featuring leon russell on piano)
5. “Lions” (yesss)
6. “The Golden Road” (recorded in [the wallflowers'] rami jaffee’s trailer in malibu…a vibe so strong i cant even explain)
“The Man” has some lovely lyrics (“Walk me out by the water’s edge, oh my brother I’m comin’ down. We are young, we are almost there . . .”) which combine flawlessly with Natalie’s bittersweet & evocative harmonies. How many times in a row can I listen to it? That remains to be seen. It has the sweet nostalgic feel of summers to me, with a nicely syncopated beat that Pete slips into his songs like a gift.
“The Man” – Pete Yorn with Natalie Maines
Yorn says, “I’ve been in this lonesome cowboy phase for a while. I’ve been really inspired by guys like Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash. ['Westerns'] has a twang to it and is a real departure for me [but] ‘Nightcrawler’ is most definitely the rock record.”
The release date for his new album Nightcrawler has been amended to August 29th instead of the 15th. If you’d like to hear a preview track from the new album ripped from his MySpace page, “Go With It,” check out A Spacious Hole In The Ground. And thanks again to Phil Marino for the header photo.
As for me, I’m seein’ him in Denver (at the Walnut Room, no less!) in just a few short weeks and looking forward to it.