1) How would you like to get an international mixtape every month from some kind soul somewhere in the world? This very cool project does just that when you sign up for it. What a neat idea. Thanks to Jeffro for the tip.
2) Clea runs a great blog called (sm)all ages, which I think I have mentioned before, because, as she says, no one should have to listen to The Wiggles. Ever. If you don’t know who the Wiggles are, consider yourself fortunate (but picture four or five grown men dancing around in brightly colored turtlenecks singing the most godawful music possible in an unbelievably chipper manner). In any case, we tag-teamed it for a post recently when I sent her the list of the Cool Kids’ Lullaby Mix and she posted a few of the songs up.
So now you know what you would listen to if I adopted you.
3) You may remember the organization Sweet Relief from the excellent compilation album they put out in 1994 (featuring Victoria Williams covers, including Crazy Mary by Pearl Jam). Williams was their first beneficiary, due to complications from her multiple sclerosis, and now they have expanded their misson, to “provide financial assistance to all types of career musicians who are facing illness, disability, or age-related problems.” They have a neat new concept that allows you to donate $4.99 to them by texting, and in return get some cool ringtone choices. Participating artists include Tegan & Sara, Jars of Clay, Pearl Jam, OK Go and Glen Phillips. Listen to some of the ringtone songs on the MySpace page for the effort.
4) Speaking (again & as usual) of Pearl Jam, their label J Records has reported that the band will appear on Saturday Night Live on April 15th (this very weekend). This will be the first time that the band has visited the show since their legendary 1994 performance (follow that link if you want to relive it via mp3).
5) Some interesting news about a Big Star covers album coming out next month with several artists that I like contributing. It’s been finished & shelved since 1998, and is finally looking like it will see the light of day. Tracklist looks like it has some good songs on it. The tribute includes:
1. Gin Blossoms – “Back Of A Car”
2. Afghan Whigs – “Nightime”
3. Matthew Sweet – “Ballad of El Goodo”
4. Juliana Hatfield – “Don’t Lie to Me”
5. Idlewild – “You Get What You Deserve”
6. Whiskeytown – “Give Me Another Chance”
7. Kelly Willis – “When My Baby’s Beside Me”
8. Teenage Fanclub – “Jesus Christ”
9. Posies – What’s Going On?”
10. Wilco – “Thirteen”
11. Big Star -”Hot Thing”
6) Moroccan Role has a new Futureheads track up for download called “Skip To The End.” It’s got a catchy sound with some na-na-naaas and that fabulous thick accent. I am dancing around to it right now (while seated & typing), which is harder than it sounds.
7) I came across this great quote by The Boss (“El Jefe,” as my friend’s Mexican blog calls him, which I realize is completely a grammatical translation into Spanish, but it made me chuckle for some reason). Anyway, back to the quote from Springsteen, which I found in Readers’ Digest of all places. He ruminates: “Talking about music is like talking about sex. Can you describe it? Are you supposed to?” Yeah, I feel that way pretty much whenever I log onto this thing.
8) If you want to brush up on your cryptic map-reading skills before LOST tonight, you can view that freaky nonsense that appeared to Locke when he was pinned under the big ‘ole door.
9) And FINALLY: What would your favorite celebs look like with grills on their teeth? I am thinking of getting one. You know, just to say “Hey. I’ve arrived.”