Let’s all move to Santa Monica. In addition to the sand and sea, they also have KCRW, which, for being a community college radio station, gets some huge talent and amazing performances on their live weekday AM show, Morning Becomes Eclectic. I added the podcast to my iPod and have been very pleased with the consistent quality and variety of the show.
Here is a sampling of my favorite performances over the years from the KCRW studios.
- Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight, Whiskeytown
- Never Is A Promise, Fiona Apple (man alive, her voice is gorgeous)
- Folk Singer, The White Stripes (Brendan Benson cover)
- The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, The Postal Service
- Eight Days a Week, Dandy Warhols (dreamy acoustic Beatles cover)
- Devil Got My Woman, Beck (honky tonk harmonica from America’s favorite tiny hipster)
You can stream a number of live performances on their website, including stuff by Nada Surf, Broken Social Scene, Neil Young, My Morning Jacket, Ben Harper, Arctic Monkeys, Jackie Greene, Supergrass, Teenage Fanclub, Keane, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Paul Weller, David Gray, and Sigur Ros. And I had to stop myself there. I could add about 50 more artists I like, just from looking at their list.
Sheck it out. You’ll be on your computer for days. Don’t blame me for any cricks.